Adobe Systems Inc. 2008-Present
Senior Computer Scientist Lead, Design and Publishing
- Founding engineer on Adobe's next-generation UI design and prototyping tool called Adobe Experience Design (Adobe XD). Responsible for the GPU based compositor and renderer.
- Ported the renderer, animation engine, and compositor to web using Emscripten and WASM. Net result was a playback engine on web capable of presenting high fidelity GPU accelerated vector and raster based interactives and animations via WebGL.
Senior Computer Scientist, Web Products
- Created a web based comp-to-code tool that allows web developers to extract images, text, geometry, and CSS from Adobe Photoshop files.
Senior Computer Scientist, Gaming Enablement
- Ported Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3 to the Adobe Flash platform. To facilitate, authored an OpenGL ES2 to "Stage3D" adapter for Flash 11.
- Supported other Epic partners (such as Trendy Studios) in porting their games to the Flash 11 platform.
- Assisted in the development of Adobe Alchemy, an LLVM to AVM3 (ActionScript VM) compiler and SDK.
Senior Computer Scientist, Flex SDK Platform
- Architected many features of Adobe's Flex 4.0 SDK including view states, design layers, and animated pixel shader transitions.
- Responsible for all aspects of improving and monitoring the SDK and Flash Player's runtime performance throughout the 4.0 development cycle. Routinely identify enhancements to the Adobe Flash Player C++ runtime and coordinate with player team to implement said enhancements.
- Maintain and extend the Java based MXML compiler as required for new features and improvements.
AOL LLC. 2007-2008
Platform UI Architect, AIM Design Team
- Assisted in the development of www.circavie.com. Focused primarily on the development of an interactive Flash-based dynamic timeline component which allowed for rendering and adaptive layout of arbitrary multimedia annotated event feeds (video, photos, etc.). Created the administrative UI for the site and supporting Rails controllers and views.
- Created a Flash Lite interactive for the Chumby (chumby.com) device.
- Created an extensible AIR based instant messaging client. The focus of the prototyping effort is to compare and contrast Flex based AIR interactives with hand coded Actionscript/CS3.
Revolution Health Group LLC. 2006-2007
Platform UI Architect, Portal Core Team
- Built a Flash Actionscript based charting framework utilized in RHG's 'Tracker' suite, targeted at generating dynamic, animated graphs of user health metrics.
- Principal author of a graphical, Ruby on Rails based, health risk assessment application.
- Initiated the re-factoring of all CSS within the company's portal into a single reusable archetype.
America Online LLC. 2001-2006
Systems Architect, Client Engineering and Technology Division
- Architect and co-inventor of a next-generation user interface toolkit called "Boxely".
- Boxely is a declarative language and runtime geared towards enabling construction of highly dynamic UIs (animations, transitions, desktop compositing) for AOL applications service wide. Boxely provides for the ease of scriptable, procedural, composited interface, ala Macromedia Flash, but is geared towards RAD authoring of desktop applications, ala XUL, WPF, or Apollo.
- Authored many unique features of the rendering engine including but not limited to SMIL- based animation support, cascading style engine (CSS for desktop UI), data binding, script engine integration, and vector graphics support.
- Designed, authored, and shipped a production AIM client (dubbed AIM Lite) leveraging the Boxely engine.
- Core member of the AOL Member Experience Team providing product consultation to the President, AOL Products.
Systems Architect, Advanced Communications and Community
- Designed a WYSIWYG content authoring tool for members, a design surface allowing drag and drop manipulation of rich text, images, pre-built AJAX/DHTML components (polls, quizzes, etc.) and rich media objects.
- Extended Internet Explorer to facilitate live inline image editing within the context of an HTML document. Utilized DirectX, GDI+, IE Rendering Behaviors, and custom IE DOM manipulation.
- Designed and developed a rich media blogging product. Allowed for audio and video annotations as well as traditional photo and text centric entries.
- Implemented an AOL 9.0 photo album and scrapbook feature for email.
Principal Software Engineer, Client Engineering and Technology Division
- Co-lead UI engineer for the America Online 7.0 email feature.
- Designed and developed a generic auto complete (type ahead) system for the AOL 7.0 interface. The functionality was reviewed favorably by Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal.
- Selected for 2002 innovation leadership team. Developed several next-generation online service prototypes. Presented a strategy for integration of rich media and dynamic interface within the AOL service to the company executive leadership team.
- Lead engineer for the AOL 8.0 Desktop Companion. Utilized Windows Scripting Host, ATL, Winsock, and Macromedia Flash.
- Pioneered a method of rendering Macromedia Flash content as an antialiased, alpha- blended layer on the OS (Windows 2000 and XP) desktop.
- Winner of the corporate IdeaSpeeder contest for the AOL Journals concept.
Kodak Inc. 1998-1999
Senior Software Engineer, Medical Imaging Division
- Served as senior Windows NT developer for a state of the art PACS medical imaging system.
- Designed an image processing pipeline for the Cemax-Icon AutoRad product. Focused specifically on a memory management engine used throughout the application. Utilized Corba and Objectstore to integrate with the rest of the PACS system.
- Developed a compact image editor and viewer that allowed developers to browse through device independent bitmaps hundreds of megabytes in size. Implemented a feature allowing technicians to view selective details of a 64bpp DICOM derived medical scan.
Applied Materials Inc. 1997-1998
Senior Software Engineer, Medical Imaging Division
- Designed core UI framework for a Windows based real-time distributed control system. Architecture was based on various Microsoft technologies including MFC, DCOM, and ActiveX.
- Served as technical consultant for several industry standards organizations including OPC and OBEM (Object Based Equipment Model).
Secret Level Inc. 1995-1996
Game Tools Consultant, In-House Development
- Computer game programmer responsible for developing graphics based in-house design tools.
- Developed a 3D texture mapped polygon prototyping environment for the Sega Saturn which was capable of importing both 3D Studio and Alias Wavefront model sets.
- Assisted in the design and implementation of a Win95/MFC truecolor tile editor, which was used to generate height-field landscapes. The product was later licensed to Atari Corporation.
University of Maryland 1992-1995
Senior Software Engineer, Communications and Telephony
- Designed and implemented software for real-time PBX data acquisition and graphical presentation of call data from several AT&T DEFINITY G2 and G3 switches. These applications were commercially licensed as a stand-alone package.
- Engineered various databases including a client-server knowledge base system for department-wide local area network and an online directory assistance database for the University's Campus Information Department.
- Assisted in the development of a voice recognition and response application capable of forwarding internet email messages to voice mail.